Laser vision correction
For nearly 20 years, at the VITA-MED Ophthalmology Clinic, we have been helping to obtain perfect eyesight. See how we do it. Before you make your decision, read the important information for Cebie. How we correct vision defects by laser is explained by the specialist in eye diseases, MD. Jarosław Kachnowicz.
Developing nearly 40 years, laser vision surgery has reached such a level of perfection that it is a more accurate, safer and more durable method of vision correction than glasses or contact lenses. Today, modern ophthalmology has many extremely precise and safe methods of examining and treating vision defects.
Life without sight limitations.
Enjoy good eyesight and life without restrictions – in private or professional life. You know very well how glasses interfere with everyday life, isolate your eyes from the world. They often get dirty, get caught on clothes, steaming in winter, lose their visibility in the rain and often break. They make it difficult or impossible to practice many sports, or they stand in the way of choosing many professions or freely enjoying active types of hobbies. Contact lenses are also not without flaws. Cleaning, caring or losing “contacts”, allergies, inflammations, eye irritations are not uncommon … It’s time to tell all these problems: ENOUGH OF THIS!
Dr. Jarosław Kachnowicz
What is laser vision correction?
The laser beam at a frequency of 500 times per second removes microscopic amounts of corneal tissue, giving the eye a more perfect shape that allows proper vision.
A laser aimed at your eye – sounds terrible? However, laser surgery is one of the safest and most popular operations on the human body. The operation is painless, does not require anesthesia, and takes only several minutes. Here are a few numbers that confirm this data:
people in the world have had laser eye surgery
the operated people are satisfied with the results of the operation, which is even more than in the case of cosmetic surgery
people every year, has had laser eye surgery
patients recommend these treatments to their friends
We know that each eye is unique. That is why the procedures performed at the VITA-MED Clinic are tailor-made . Individually prepared vision correction surgery will help you free yourself from glasses or contact lenses.
How do we do it? After taking many, very precise measurements, we create a detailed “map” of the eyes of each of our patients. Using the map as a guide, we individually adjust the procedure to obtain the best possible quality of vision. We release eyes with myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism from sight defects.
It is sad to note that many doctors, including ophthalmologists, have outdated knowledge of laser surgery from 30 years ago. They often fail to suggest the best solutions to their visually impaired patients, arousing anxiety. Laser surgery of visual impairment is currently completely different procedures than at the beginning of its development. A very good analogy of the evolution that laser vision surgery has undergone is an example of the development of its peer – mobile telephony. The quality and capabilities of current smartphones, compared to the old cell phones, are divided by the revolution of recent years, as is the case with current laser operations and previous treatments.
Which vision defects are subject to laser correction?
Laser vision correction treatments free your eyes from:
- short-sightedness , in which the light entering the eye is focused too much and is focused in front of it instead of on the retina. This causes images seen from a distance to be blurry.
- farsightedness defects , in which the light entering the eye is focused too weakly and instead of on the retina, it is focused behind it. This causes images seen up close to be blurry.
- the defect of astigmatism , in which the light entering the eye is focused at different angles and is not focused on the retina. This causes all images to be seen out of focus.
- The range of defects corrected by laser vision correction is as follows:
- myopia from -0.5 Dsph to -10.0 Dsph,
- hyperopia from +0.5 Dsph to +6.0 Dsph,
- astigmatism up to 6.0 Dcyl.
What are the indications for laser vision correction surgery?
Laser vision correction is an excellent alternative to glasses and contact lenses.
These are treatments for young people – in the age range between 18-19 and 50-55, whose vision defect is stable, i.e. it does not change on a scale of more than half a diopter in the last 12 months.
People under the age of 18 cannot qualify due to the eye growth process. We are sorry, dear little ones, for the safety of your eyes you have to wait a bit.
People between 45 and 55 years old after laser surgery will need eyeglass support for reading. If the prospect of having to use reading glasses is particularly unpleasant for someone, then in such a situation it is worth considering another solution: REFLECTIVE LENS REPLACEMENT >> .
Qualifying visit for laser vision correction.
Very important information: if you use contact lenses you should stop wearing them 2 weeks before the screening examination.
The doctor will decide whether to perform the procedure safely, based on detailed tests that will assess the condition of your eyes. The tests are performed during one day (they last up to about 4 hours). The qualifying visit consists of 4 stages:
- Meeting with an optometrist who will help fill in the interviews and answer questions about eye diseases, general diseases and family diseases that may be important for the planned surgery. Check the quality of vision without correction and with glasses. Performs very precise measurements of vision defect, eye pressure, corneal geometry and condition.
- Meeting with an operating doctor who, after reading the information from the questionnaires about your health and the health of your eyes, will explain the planned vision correction procedure in detail, answer all your questions and dispel doubts. Then, based on the measurements made by the optometrist, he will select the best correction in order to obtain the best vision, which will be used to plan the treatment.
- Eye drops with drops that dilate the pupils and relax the eye tension, which occurs in almost all respondents and is the source of inaccurate fitting of glasses or contact lenses. Your eyes will be instilled several times at intervals of 10-15 minutes. Then the vision impairment will be measured again. This strategy gives the greatest precision.
- Final meeting with the operating physician to examine the fundus, assess the health of the eye and cornea, and summarize all previous measurements. This final meeting ends with the statement that your eyes are good candidates for a safe procedure or that there are contraindications that would prevent it from being performed. Fear not, as obstacles to freedom from glasses are very rare. However, the final decision will always be yours.
In just a few minutes, a laser can change the way you see the world.
Are you ready ? Do you have questions or doubts?
Book an appointment for a free consultation with an expert.
Refractive Surgery Helpline +48 607 588 588 – call us today.
What are the contraindications for the procedure?
- cataracts (clouding of the lens), consider another solution: REFRACTIVE LENS REPLACEMENT >>
- advanced diabetes and other metabolic diseases, with permanent damage to the retina resulting in blurred vision,
- advanced stages of keratoconus, deep scars that permanently impair vision,
- Advanced macular diseases that permanently worsen vision,
- Advanced glaucoma, permanently worsening vision,
- Autoimmune diseases with scarring.
Situations in which laser correction surgery is better to postpone:
- general diseases with high fever and weakness,
- acute infections and inflammation of the eyes,
- pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- increased allergy symptoms,
- advanced dry eye syndrome.
How to prepare for the procedure?
If you use contact lenses, you should stop wearing them before the procedure: soft – 2 weeks, and hard – 4 weeks before. The lenses temporarily change the shape of the cornea, which can affect the outcome of the procedure and reduce vision.
Face cosmetics, such as creams, foundations, powders, blushes, eye shadows, mascaras, etc. must not be used at least 24 hours before the treatment. It is also very important not to consume alcohol for at least 24 hours before the treatment – it may have a negative effect. on the effect of the treatment and the healing process. It is not necessary to stop taking birth control pills.
What is the day of the operation.
How is laser vision correction performed?
The laser vision correction procedure is short, painless and safe. It is performed in an operating room, but in an outpatient procedure – that is, the patient returns home the same day after the procedure. Laser vision correction is performed under local, drip anesthesia. These treatments are completely painless.
The laser specialist changes the shape of the front, transparent part of the eye – the cornea. We perform laser vision correction treatments using the LASIK , LASIK-SBK, Opti-LASIK, Epi-LASIK , EBK, LASEK and PRK methods . The laser light shapes the cornea, and by changing its convexity, the specialist removes the defect.
What are the recommendations after the laser vision correction surgery?
The operated person can walk independently and perform basic activities. Driving is not allowed and public transport should be avoided. After the procedure, pain related to the healing of the eye may occur. The length of rehabilitation depends on the individually selected method. Intensive and heavy work should be avoided – the eyes should rest for about 7 days – until the cornea heals. In the postoperative period, patients should avoid staying in a polluted environment, as well as in smoky and dusty rooms. Makeup cannot be used for 2 weeks. It is recommended to refrain from vigorous physical activity for 1-2 weeks. Swimming in pools, lakes and the sea is forbidden for about 2 months. The use of the solarium and sauna should be limited for the same period of time.
What are the effects of laser vision correction?
Restoring perfect vision is quick – the exact timing depends on your vision defect and the method you choose. The doctor will inform about the details of each patient.
Why is it worth deciding to undergo laser vision correction?
It is worth increasing your comfort of life and the quality of vision, and as a result, free yourself from glasses or lenses and limitations in everyday life.