Phakic lenses (ICL)
Phakic lenses are highly technologically advanced intraocular lenses. The main goal of the ICL phakic lens implantation procedure is (as in laser correction) the elimination of vision defects.
What are phakic lenses?
Phakic lenses are implants that are implanted into the eye while preserving the eye’s natural lens. Thanks to the cooperation of both lenses, a sharp image is created on the retina of the eye. The design of these lenses is similar to the implants used in cataract surgery. They are sometimes called “intraocular contact lenses” because they have a similar effect. The phakic lens does not require any care .
Phakic lenses can be implanted in various places of the eye: on the iris, into the anterior chamber, and in front of the own lens (into the posterior chamber). The most commonly implanted lenses in our clinic are Artisan, Artiflex and Visian ICL.
How is the procedure going?
The Visian ICL ™ implantation procedure is a painless procedure, performed on an outpatient basis, without the need for hospitalization. The procedure usually takes about 15-20 minutes for one eye. Patients experience a rapid improvement in vision after removing the dressing and are “impressed” with the results. The healing process usually takes up to a month.
In our clinic, each candidate is carefully examined and assessed by our highly qualified ophthalmologists. On this basis, the “tailor-made” implant is individually selected. A treatment plan is presented and the patient is provided with personalized ophthalmic care that suits their needs.
What are the advantages of phakic lens implantation?
- Immediate recovery of vision, the patient can see after removing the dressing.
- Phakic lenses often give sharper vision than contact lenses or glasses and require no maintenance whatsoever.
- The implantation procedure is reversible, which means that the implant can be safely removed from the eye.
- A wide range of treated vision defects, greater than in the case of laser treatments.
- High predictability of the treatment.
- Stability of the obtained effect.
- Maintaining the accommodation of the eye.
- Can be combined with laser vision correction treatments.
Visian ICL™ FAQs
What is Visian ICL ™?
Visian ICL ™ (Implantable Collamer Lens) is a technologically advanced lens implant made of soft material. The lens is implanted into the posterior chamber of the eye between the iris and the natural lens. It provides permanent vision correction while giving patients a quality of vision that is often sharper, clearer and more vivid than what can be achieved with glasses or contact lenses.
Moreover, implantation of Visian ICL ™ is an additive method, which means that the eye retains its own lens and adds an additional implant that allows the light entering the eye to be properly focused on the retina. No part of the eye is removed or reshaped during the procedure. Contrary to LASIK laser eye surgery, which permanently changes the shape of the cornea, it does not permanently change the eye structures. This method is often recommended for patients who did not qualify for laser defect correction.
What are the successes of Visian ICL ™?
The introduction of Visian ICL ™ was preceded by extensive clinical trials and observations of patients and the results achieved. It is currently used by over 1 million patients worldwide. Extremely high, over 99% satisfaction rate among patients. Visian ICL ™ provides unmatched quality of vision in patients and excellent, stable results. It has been available worldwide for over 25 years. It is an effective tool in the correction of a wide range of vision defects. 85% of patients after ICL lens implantation do not need to use glasses correction. In 15% of people, there is a probability or necessity to correct the residual defect with glasses correction or laser correction.
What is the lens made of?
ICL lenses are made using Collamer (collagen copolymer) and purified collagen (a natural ingredient found in the body). These materials are highly biocompatible and therefore do not cause an allergic reaction or cause eye discomfort.
What are the benefits of Visian ICL ™ ?
- Fast vision improvement at all distances.
- Reducing or eliminating the need to wear glasses or contact lenses .
- HD vision (high definition at any distance). You can enjoy a new level of vision correction that is sharper, clearer, more vivid than with contact lenses or glasses, and has greater depth without distorting the size of the image (as is the case with wearing glasses). There is also a noticeable improvement when driving at night.
- Unlike glasses, they do not fog up. They go well with any makeup and clothes. They do not separate your beautiful eyes from the outside world. You can perform all activities, sports and competitions in them.
- One of the important advantages of Visian ICL ™ is that it can correct vision permanently . Unlike contact lenses, ICL lenses are manufactured in such a way that they can be surgically placed in the eye and can remain in the eyes for as long as desired. Designed to give a lasting effect .
- Concerns about the cornea do not usually apply to Visian ICL ™ as the natural corneal tissue is not permanently removed or changed during implantation. Unlike LASIK, Visian ICL ™ is an additive method that does not remove or reshape any part of the eyes. Plus, it doesn’t matter how thin your corneas are as ICL leaves them intact.
- Short eye regeneration time after surgery – recovery time after implantation of Visian ICL ™ is quick and painless due to very little interference in the eye. The eye can see after removing the dressing. Patients usually experience minimal discomfort and can return to work quickly.
- Protection against UV radiation – prolonged exposure to UV radiation can damage the eyes; and prolonged or more intense exposure increases the risk of eye disorders, including the development of cataracts and certain retinal problems. The advanced Visian ICL ™ lens material contains a UV blocker that effectively prevents harmful UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye, preventing the development of UV-related eye diseases.
- Treatment flexibility for the future – Your eyesight changes with age and eventually almost everyone will need cataract surgery. An important advantage of Visian ICL ™ is that you do not close the way for possible future therapies. Because Visian ICL ™ preserves the structure of the eye, the lens can be removed and replaced if your eyesight changes significantly or if another procedure is performed at any time.
- Life becomes easier – there is no need for the daily care and use of chemicals like with traditional contact lenses. Visian ICL lenses do not absorb external pollutants from the air. There are no problems associated with daily activities such as swimming and sports, for example.
- Alternative treatment to the LASIK procedure – Patients who have too thin corneas or because of a large vision defect are not eligible for LASIK surgery can still live without glasses, thanks to this procedure
Who is a candidate for surgery?
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and have a visual impairment, good vision with glasses or contact lenses, healthy eyes, you could be a candidate for this wonderful procedure and its benefits. Lens implantation is able to treat a wide range of visual impairments, from small to very tall, and is especially beneficial for people with thin corneas and dry eyes. Visian ICL ™ can now simultaneously treat myopia or hyperopia (with or without astigmatism up to 6D). The vision defect should be stable, it should not progress for more than 0.5D a year.
If you’ve been told you’re not a LASIK candidate, there are other options for you! Visian ICL surgery is a quick and painless procedure that can help you improve your eyesight and protect your eyes. At the VITA-MED clinic, the doctor can determine if Visian ICL is right for you!
Who cannot have Visian ICL ™ implanted?
We always recommend that you undergo an ophthalmological consultation to determine the best vision correction plan for you. If Visian ICL ™ is not right for you, other options are available. Visian ICL may not be the best course of action for:
- Patients whose vision defect has changed to more than 0.5D within the last six months.
- Patients with endothelial dystrophy of the cornea or without sufficient cell density of the posterior surface of the cornea.
- Patients with an anterior chamber depth less than 3.00 mm.
- Pregnant patients or nursing mothers.
- Patients with uncontrolled dry eye syndrome or eye inflammation.
- The procedure is not recommended for a patient who has previously undergone ophthalmic surgery or iritis, has glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, or any other serious eye disease.
Since Visian ICL corrects far vision, it does not eliminate the need for reading glasses for presbyopia patients. As your eye gets old, you may need them, even if you have never worn them before.
Is Visian ICL ™ safe?
Visian ICL ™ lenses have been safely implanted in over 1 million eyes worldwide. However, like any other surgical procedure, ICL carries some potential risks. All surgical procedures, including refractive ones, involve some form of invasiveness, which means there is a risk of infection. While it’s rare, it’s important to realize that an eye infection can have a range of effects, ranging from delayed healing to serious eye damage. We try to reduce this risk by using single-use sterile materials and medical products, using minimally invasive surgical techniques and applying preventive procedures around the eye.
In some patients, ICL implantation may cause increased pressure in the eye, increase in astigmatism or loss of corrected vision , loss of cells from the posterior surface of the cornea, cataracts . There may be a need for additional surgery. However, it should be remembered that such cases are rare and, due to the versatility of the procedure, easy to correct by an experienced ophthalmologist.
The most common complication associated with any refractive surgery is overcorrection or undercorrection. ICL implantation practitioners take every precaution to perform meticulous measurements prior to surgery and ensure that the correct amount of correction power is prescribed. At the VITA-MED clinic, we have the latest, technologically advanced devices for very precise diagnostics, which significantly reduces this risk. Since the ICL implant is removable and replaceable, adjustments can be made to reduce any type of over-correction or under-correction.
It is important to consider that Visian ICL is approved by the European Health Authority, which means it has been determined to be safe and effective.
Is Visian ICL ™ visible to others?
Not. Visian ICL ™ sits behind the iris (the colored part of the eye) where it is invisible to both you and your observers. The implants are only visible under a microscope when examining the eye.
Will I feel Visian ICL ™ after implantation?
Not. Visian ICL ™ has been designed so that the patient does not feel its presence in the eye. After the procedure, it stays in place and does not affect any eye structure.
How long can Visian ICL ™ stay in the eye?
Visian ICL is a permanent implantable lens with no expiration date. After implantation, ICL lenses provide continuous vision correction without the need for any care. At most, all you need to do is get an annual check in your eye office to make sure everything is okay. The lens can stay in your eye as long as you are satisfied with your eyesight. If at any point your vision changes or you want to remove it, you can do so easily and without any harm to your current vision.
If I am interested in Visian ICL ™, what are my next steps?
Feel free to contact us with any questions or to schedule a consultation to find out if Visian ICL ™ or any other vision correction method is right for you.
Do you have questions or doubts? Book an appointment for a free consultation with an operations expert.
Cataract Helpline +48 570 50 70 50 – call today.